Kit Lee, Editer’s very own craft expert, is a big fan of the antique gold picture frame. ‘I like to see them hanging in the hallway or above the fireplace, ‘ she says. ‘Or on a black lacquer wall. ‘It’s a chic, contemporary look inspired by New York apartments and hotel suites.’
‘You can make your own, using gold leaf, and display them either as they are, as objects in their own right, or to frame artworks. Nothing looks more sophisticated.’
Kit’s top tips
- Gold (or silver) leaf is excellent for restoration projects big or small.
- Gold leaf also works on plastic, porcelain and metal surfaces.
- Gold leaf is extremely delicate and crumbles/tear easily, so handle with care and tweezers.
- Gold leaf comes in packets of 25 sheets (18 to 24 carat gold). Spares can be saved for future projects.
- Antique frames can be bought cheaply at markets or charity shops.